Amendments and Previous Year Taxes

Amendments (Form 1040-X) and Previous Year Taxes
If you discover an error after filing your return, you may need to amend your return. The IRS may correct mathematical or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules. In these instances, there's no need to amend your return.  However, do file an amended return if there's a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits.

What to bring to your appointment:

  • Picture ID
  • Birthdate for all persons listed on the tax return
  • Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter for all persons listed on the tax return
  • Routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card
  • Current year tax return we are correcting
  • Any correspondence received from the IRS

Check the status of your Amended return
You can check the status of your Amendment using the Where's My Amended Return? (WMAR) online tool or the toll-free telephone number 1-866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return. Both tools are available in English and Spanish and track the status of amended returns for the current year and up to three prior years.

You must enter your taxpayer identification number (usually your social security number), date of birth, and ZIP code in either tool to prove your identity. Once you authenticate, the web tool shows an illustrated graphic to visually communicate the status of your amended return within the processing stages: Received, Adjusted, or Completed.

As a reminder, amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in our system. Before that time, there's no need to call the IRS unless the tool specifically tells you to do so.